Now, more than ever, we need to come together and do what we do best…CROCHET! Starting May 1, 2020 we will launch my first crochet along of the year featuring the Tunisian Delight Sampler Afghan.
This modern sampler afghan is fun, surprisingly easy, and a total skill builder! I mean, who doesn’t want to up their crochet game while making a fun and functional afghan?!
With most afghans you’re stuck making the same motif over and over or working the same few rows again and again. Not with a sampler! We’ll have nine blocks and nine different stitches that will keep you on your toes and learning something new every week. How cool is that?
What Does a Rohn Strong Crochet Along Look Like?
It’s been awhile since we’ve had a good ole fashioned, Rohn Strong Crochet Along! So, let’s chat about what it looks like. To put it simply, a crochet along is when a bunch of us internet friends get together and crochet the same pattern at the same time! It’s all done virtually (a.k.a. online). We’ll have weekly ‘assignments’ and the pattern will be released block by block right here on the blog! Along the way we’ll share our progress online for everyone to see!
The really exciting thing is that with a potentially tricky crochet technique, such as tunisian, nobody has to muddle through it alone. There will be lots of support via Instagram, Facebook, and through this very blog.
The Tunisian Delight Sampler is the culmination of a lot of knowledge and techniques. It features beginner stitches, easy stitches, and even a few more challenging techniques!
BUT, here’s the deal, I designed the Tunisian Delight Sampler to work for even the most novice of tunisian crocheters. Yep, even if you’ve only picked up a tunisian hook once or twice, I’ve got you.
We’ll cover the basics like tunisian simple stitch and tunisian knit stitch. From there we’ll move to easy stitches like the full and reverse stitch. By the end of the sampler you’ll be working on tunisian entrelac, cables, and even lace!
And remember, I’ll be right there by your side, crocheting every single stitch with you. So, if you have questions you can always DM on Instagram HERE or send me a FB Message HERE. If all else fails, leave a comment on my YOUTUBE Channel under the video where you’re having a touch of trouble.
The Crochet Along Includes:
- PRIZES! Every week by posting your progress to Instagram and using #RohnStrongCAL you will be entered into that week’s giveaway! Each week is sponsored by an amazing company, hand picked by me! You must have a public Instagram profile to participate.
- Community Help! I can’t be everywhere all the time and I sure as heck don’t know everything! That’s why this community is SO great. We’re going to be there to help each other along the way as we learn all these new skills!
- Support! I’m going to be here to help you every step of the way. I know that sometimes a written pattern and video tutorial doesn’t cut it. So, here’s what else I’m promising during this crochet along:
1. One FREE Pattern a week each with the directions and tips/tricks you’ll need to complete that weeks blocks! The new posts will go live every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning around 12:00pm EST!
2. A weekly newsletter that will recap everything we covered in the last week including helpful links and tips.
3. A Facebook group for any and all questions that you might have! I love my friends in the Rohn Strong Crochet Club. The group is just amazing! I’m always excited to see what everyone is working on. This group is serve as our forum and meeting place during the Tunisian Delight Sampler CAL! I’ll also be posting videos and LIVE Q&A sessions in both the FB Group and on Instagram!
When: May 1, 2020
While we will all start crocheting on May 1, you can hop in at any time! These blog posts won’t ever go away, so even after we’ve ended, you can still sew along…well without the prizes!
Here’s what this CAL Schedule will look like:
April 15: CAL Announcement
CLICK HERE: May 1: CAL Begins – Get those Gauge Swatches DONE!
CLICK HERE: May 4: Week 1 – Blocks 1, 2, and 3
May 11: Week 2 – Blocks 4, 5, and 6
May 18: Week 3 – Blocks 7, 8, and 9
May 25: Week 4 – Seaming and Border!
May 31: CAL Ends
How to Participate
First, sign up for the Rohn Strong Designs newsletter. By doing this, you’ll get updates on the crochet along. After that, it’s totally up to you! But, remember to be eligible for the prizes you must have a public Instagram profile, post a photo, and use the #RohnStrongCAL.
- Tunisian Delight Sampler Afghan Pattern – Remember, our pattern will be released weekly here on the Blog. You do not have to purchase anything nor do you have to sign up for anything. Just make sure you’re following me on social media and subscribed to my newsletter to know when our new patterns are live!
400 yds of Main Color (I used Cream)
200 yds of Color A (I used Tan)
200 yds of Color B (I used Pink
100 yds of Color C (I used Grey)
This pattern uses a heavier worsted weight yarn such as Caron One Pound or Red Heart With Love.
One word of caution. Stay away from Red Heart Soft or Caron Simply Soft. They are just too thin for this project. You want a nice thick heavy worsted weight yarn! Remember to look for the ‘4’ on the yarn label to indicate you’ve got the correct size.
- 6.5mm Tunisian Crochet Hook
You will definitely need a tunisian crochet hook for this project. You cannot use a standard crochet hook UNLESS it is an ‘inline’ style hook, meaning it doesn’t have a thumb rest. You’re standard Susan Bates or Clover hooks will not work for this.
These blocks measure about 9.5″ when finished, which means you really need to have a good size hook. I used a 6.5mm Crochet Hook or a Size US K. I would recommend starting there. If you’re blocks aren’t perfectly 9.5″ That’s okay too! I’ll show you how to fudge it to make sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck!
If you need to order a crochet hook, I recommend ordering from my friends at Craft Habit Raleigh! They have a few 6.4mm crochet hooks in stock that are perfect! These are the hooks I use and just LOVE. NOTE: The hook size on the website reads J but it is a 6.4mm crochet hook, which technically makes it a Size K. This is the exact hook I used to crochet these blocks with.
- 6mm Standard Crochet Hook
- Basic Crochet Supplies such as a tapestry needle and scissors.
Sponsors & Prizes
Each of these prizes is a minimum value of $50! Remember, the only way to enter each week’s giveaway is to post a picture of your progress using #RohnStrongCAL on Instagram! You must have a public Instagram profile to participate.
Week 1 – May 8: Annie’s Catalog – A digital copy of my Learn Tunisian Crochet Colorwork class AND a digital copy of Crochet World and Crochet! Magazine! Week 2 – May 15: KnitCrate – 5 Skeins of Worsted Weight Yarn
- Week 3 – May 22: Red Heart Yarns – A yarn filled prize pack valued at $50!
- Week 4 – May 29: Twin Birch Products – A selection of Single and Double Ended Tunisian Crochet Hooks to complete your collection!
Prizes will be awarded at the end of the week around 5:00pm EST. Weekly winners will be picked randomly. More details will be announced in each week’s blog post. The schedule of prices is subject to change.
I am just SO excited to start on this Tunisian Delight Sampler with all of you! It’s going to be a blast and I’m really excited to help you expand those Tunisian Crochet skills! Grab your yarn, get that tunisian crochet hook ready, and let’s get stitchin’! Well…on May 1st. Haha!
2 thoughts on “Tunisian Delight Sampler Afghan Crochet Along”
Excited for this CAL. I have wanted to learn more Tunisian stitches.
Comments are closed.