Hey Friends! I’m very excited to share my contribution to the 2021 Crochet Traveling Seasons Afghan.
Whether you’ve been following along since January or you’re just hearing about it now, keep reading for details on how to get stitching!
What is the Traveling Seasons Afghan?
The 2021 Traveling Afghan CAL project sponsored by Lion Brand Yarn, in in conjunction with Lion Brand’s “My Life in Yarn” campaign. This years theme will be called the “Traveling Seasons Afghan”. This year’s Traveling Afghan will again be a collaborative effort, but on a smaller scale due to the changing times.
How can you join?
1. Purchase your skeins all in advance or as the months go, so you have everything you need to get started with us when the first square pattern is released in January. We will be using under 1 skein of Lionbrands Woolease Yarn in Grey Heather for each square. You’re welcome to use any comparable worsted yarn you’d like, including what you may already have in your stash. All squares will be made using a J/10 (6mm) crochet hook.
2. Below is a list of this year’s designers from Lionbrand Yarn and links to their sites, as well as the Afghan itinerary. Follow the designers on social media for a new square each month, as the Afghan travels around for each season.
3. All Square Patterns will be made available on the Designer’s Blog when their square is up next in the Season. The patterns will be available there for FREE, or for purchase as an ad-free PDF version on their Website or Ravelry for $1. All links to the Designers are linked below, along with the map destinations.
SEASONS AFGHAN SQUARE GRID: Pop back at the 1st of the month to see the next square get filled in! See the list of makers to the right to see whose next!
- January – Whistle and Wool, #!
- February – EClaireMakery, #2
- March – Two of wands, #3
- April – Pink Plumeria Maui, #4
- May – Little Red Knits, #5
- June – Evelyn and Peter, #6
- July – Knits and Knots by Ame, #7
- August – TL Yarn Crafts, #8
- September – Rohn Strong, #9
- October – Meghan Makes Do, #10
- November – Capitol Crochet, #11
- December – Coco Crochet Lee, #12
Follow everyone on Instagram for their Square updates! IG links below!
- January – Whistle and Wool
- February – EClaireMakery
- March – Two of wands
- April – Pink Plumeria Maui
- May – Little Red Knits
- June – Evelyn and Peter
- July – Knits and Knots by Ame
- August – TL Yarn Crafts
- September – Rohn Strong
- October – Meghan Makes Do
- November – Capitol Crochet
- December – Coco Crochet Lee
- Border – Rain and Bolt
Crochet Traveling Seasons Afghan | Square #9
This square is fun to stitch and offers just a touch of challenge! Don’t be nervous, it’s well worth the time and effort involved.
- 170 yards Lion Brand Wool-Ease (or any worsted weight yarn) in the color Grey Heather
- US Size K (6.5mm) crochet hook
- Tapestry Needle
13″ by 13″ square
Ch = Chain
Rep = Repeat
Sk = Skip
RS = Right Side
Tr = Triple Crochet
FPtr = Front Post Triple Crochet
BPtr = Back Post Triple Crochet
Sl st = Slip Stitch
Small Cluster (Cl): Ch 4, work 3 dc into 4th ch from hook, holding back last loop of each dc, yo and draw through all four loops on hook.
Large Cluster (Lg Cl): 4 dc into indicated sp, holding back last loop of each dc, yo and draw through all five loops on hook.
ROW 1 (RS): Tr in 6th ch from hook and in next ch, *work Cl, sk next 4 ch, work Lg Cl, work Cl, sk next 4 ch, tr in each of the next 3 ch; rep from * across.
ROW 2 (WS): Ch 4, turn, Bptr around post of next 2 tr, *ch 2, (Lg Cl, ch 4, Lg Cl) in 4th ch of Cl on previous row, ch 1, Bptr around each of the next 3 tr; rep from * across to last 3 sts, Bptr around each of the next 2 tr, tr in last st.
ROW 3 (RS): Ch 4, turn, FPtr around post of next 2 tr, *work Cl, Lg Cl in next ch-4 sp, work Cl, Fptr around each of the next 3 tr; rep from * across to last st, tr in last st.
ROW 4 (WS): Work as for Row 2.
Rep Rows 3 and 4 a further 5 times.
Rnd 1: Ch 2, turn, work 42 hdc evenly spaced across final row, work 3 sc in last st, turn work 90 degrees to crochet down left side, work 42 sc evenly spaced across row ends, work 3 sc in last st, turn work 90 degrees to crochet across opposite side of foundation row, work 42 hdc evenly spaced across, work 3 sc in last st, turn work 90 degrees to crochet across right side, work 42 sc evenly spaced across row ends, work 3sc in last st, join to first st with a sl st.
To join to other squares use join preferred or simply sc through both thicknesses of fabric as I did!
Weave in all ends. Wash and lay flat to block!