I get asked all the time:
“Rohn, what are your biggest tips for being a creative entrepreneur?”
The truth is, there is no equation to success. However, I do think there are some general tips that we can follow to make sure that we reach the goals we are striving for. Without further ado…here are my 5 Tips to be a Successful Creativepreneur.
- Tasteful modesty is out of fashion, so knock it off – You are talented. You are here for a reason and being modest about your skill will only make others think you don’t know what you’re doing. You bring something unique to your business and you have to be willing to plant that seed of uniqueness in order to reap the harvest. Don’t feel like you have something unique to offer? Well, I hate to have to give you une demi tasse de realite but maybe you shouldn’t be starting a business then.
- Change your self-talk – What you say to yourself has a huge impact on how you run your business. Have you ever noticed that the worse your day seems to go the worse your thoughts seem to go? Where the mind goes…the man follows. You have to change your self talk by ignoring every negative thought that comes in. Replacing simple phrases such as “I can’t” or “I shouldn’t” will allow your mind to drown out the negativity.
- Find your oxygen – I know, this sounds a little crazy but hear me out. Oxygen is the breath of life for literally every thing on this earth. We cannot live without it. Usually, when we start a creative business, we do so because we love something so much that we cannot live without it. We love it so much that we want to make that thing our life. We want to share that thing with everyone we come in contact with. If you seem to be struggling with your business it may be time to go back to the roots of what you love. Look at it from every angle…even down to the microscopic level. Find the oxygen that it gives you and breath deep!
- Identify What’s Important – I’m going to let you in on a secret. A successful business owner is always focused on two things:
a. Growth, or
That’s it. In the beginning we are often focused on Growth. Building an audience/following/tribe and then once that has been successfully achieved we focus on that growth to lead us to the profit. You have to decide where you are in your business. Do you have a great social media presence? Are you growing without really trying? Then focus on profit!
Are your sales dismal? Are you making less money than a year ago? Then you may need to switch focus. While working on profit is still important at this point, focusing on growth may be where you need to be. Try a social media plan! See if that makes a difference. Identify what you need to focus on and then focus on that! It really is that simple.
- Be Decisive – Nothing gets done without decisions. Running a successful business includes making a series of decisions on a daily business. I used to be horribly indecisive. I hated making decisions. It wasn’t until I started grappling with poverty that I realized…if I wanted this business to succeed, I needed to make decisions. I decided I was going to be successful and that decision allowed me to create the path I needed to follow.
I made one decision. Which then led to three. Which then led to six and twelve and twenty-four and then forty-eight. These decisions were easier and easier to make and often led to me making the right choices at the right times. Learn to be decisive.
This blog post just scratches the surface of what I’ve learned over the last five years. I’ll be sharing more over the coming months/weeks. For now, I want you to remember, there is no direct path to success. With a lot of hard work, determination, and patience, however…I’m confident that you can succeed.